Friday, March 15, 2013

Still-sexy gentlemen inc.

Reunions are all the rage these days.  First Take That did it.  Then umpteen other 90s bands tried to escape that lonely town called Dumperville, with various degrees of success.  TV shows have tried it too, rebooting themselves years after they were first cancelled and bringing back key members of the cast (again with various degrees of success).  Another reunion I hope to be enjoying fairly soon is that with my once thinner body (and how much success I have with that remains to be seen).  But that's another story.
 
The big reunion show that everyone seems to be talking about at the moment is the aptly titled "The Big Reunion" on ITV2.  Somewhat taking its cue from the Steps documentary which re-launched the group last year, The Big Reunion follows the stories of no less than seven reformed groups from the 90s and noughties, as they rehearse for a comeback gig.  Secret "feuds" between group members are revealed, alongside cringeworthy (but nonetheless fascinating) anecdotes and other "shocking" facts (such as Kerry Katona could/can barely sing a note).  Tickets for the Big Reunion concert literally sold out in five minutes, a full UK tour was announced, it's been a gargantuan ratings hit for ITV2 and a second series is already in the works.
 
Well, dust off your old Custard Shop hats kids, because one of the names that is in the frame for series two is none other than Bad Boys Inc.  It's been a long time since I have written about Bad Boys Inc on this blog (well, to be fair, it's been a while since I have written anything on this blog) but that does not mean I have forgotten about them.  No, dear readers, let me make myself clear on this subject... I will NEVER forget them, alright?
 
The thing with Bad Boys Inc is that, even though they were one of the more successful boy bands of the time (well, I suppose it was the decade that also gave us Upside Down and the travesty that was Optimystic)  they still didn't stick around for as long as they deserved to.  There was a bunch of singles and an album and that really was it.  But the length of time they stuck around really is inversely proportionate to the amount of awesome they were.
 
I tell anyone happy to listen to me that the early 90s were such an exhilarating time for pop music because, back then, pop music was completely unafraid of being pop music.   It's true that numerous pop bands arrived in a flourish of glory, only to be claimed by the dumper five minutes later, but that only meant that the charts were super exciting for a while.  And whilst there was nothing particularly cool about Bad Boys Inc's musical output, being cool wasn't really the point.  Instead, to me at least, Bad Boys Inc was simply about four lads being young and gorgeous, having the time of their lives, leaping around in their videos [in one of them, they do a routine where it looks like they've stuck springs to their shoes], getting high on life and the knowledge that they were as fit as anything - all for our listening and viewing pleasure.  Add a bit of sexual ambiguity into the mix and you had a killer formula.  (I used to call them the most-gay not-gay pop band of all time, until I found out that at least one of them is gay.)  Think Take That back at the beginning, before they got modest and started wearing clothes, and you've pretty much got the picture.

I don't know about you, but I get a bit worried when I haven't seen one of my unrequited love interests for a few years. Will they still look fabulous, or will their stunning looks have degenerated into averageness by now?  Well, I am happy to report that all of the Bad Boys are, yup... still stunning (!!!) as the photo below proves.  I for one, am supporting the boys' reunion all the way, especially if it means we'll get the chance to witness them doing their "springs in shoes" routine live on stage sometime soon...

For the latest news on the status of the Bad Boys Inc reunion, follow @BBIReunion, @MatthewJPateman, @David_w_Ross and @TheBadBoysInc on Twitter. 
 

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 9:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great read probably one of the 90s boybands that genuinely deserved more success than they achieved.

 
At 3:17 am, Anonymous Jef said...

I remember seeing Bad Boys Inc. singles in the import bins in Dallas music stores, but I don't think I've ever heard one of their songs.

I saw David Ross in Quinceanera a few years ago and enjoyed his performance. You can read more about the movie here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0451176/.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home